Press Release – For Immediate Release
24 January 2018
The Rwanda E-Waste Dismantling and Recycling Facility, which was officially opened last month, will expand its operations thanks to a ten-year lease agreement being signed today between the Ministry of Trade and Industry and Enviroserve Rwanda Green Park (a subsidiary of Enviroserve Services LLC Dubai).
The agreement will see Enviroserve Rwanda Green Park:
1. Operate and manage the Rwanda E-Waste Dismantling and Recycling Facility
2. Develop e-waste collection points/centres around the country to ensure the proper collection and treatment of electrical and electronic waste.
3. Expand the e-waste facility by introducing new machinery and equipment such as refrigerant gas recycling machinery, data destruction machinery, and
4. Pay the Government of Rwanda a total lease fee over the 10-year period that
will more than cover the initial investment in the project.
5. Conduct regular public awareness about the proper management of e-waste
and its impact on human health and the environment.
The lease fee paid to the Government of Rwanda will be reinvested into environmental and green growth initiatives through the Rwanda Green Fund (FONERWA).
The aim of the agreement is to ensure the proper and sustainable management of the facility, and allow the facility to generate income, expand and create more green jobs. A competitive tender process was used and Enviroserve emerged as the successful bidder. The Rwanda Development Board, together with the Ministry of Trade and Industry, lead the development and negotiations of the lease agreement with the potential private partner.
The Rwanda E-Waste Dismantling and Recycling Facility is the result of a US $1.5 million investment from the Rwanda Green Fund (FONERWA) to support e-waste management in Rwanda – implemented by the Ministry of Trade and Industry.
Invitation – Signing Ceremony
The Ministry of Trade and Industry is pleased to invite media to the signing ceremony of the lease agreement today Wednesday, 24 January 2018 at 3:00PM at the Ministry offices – located in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building in Kimihurura.
• Learn more about the Rwanda Green Fund investment in e-waste management here.
• View photos of the Rwanda E-Waste Dismantling and Recycling Facility here.
• Jean Claude Hakizimana, Public Relations Officer, Ministry of Trade and
Industry, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• David Toovey, Communications Advisor, Rwanda Green Fund (FONERWA),
at email@example.com or on +250 786 591 727.